Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More Doom & Gloom During the Recession

Today is not a day I have been looking forward to.

My status as "Unemployed" is firmly imprinted today as I head to government assistant job search training today in order to continue receiving my Newstart allowance.

Whilst I feel this may be beneficial for some people, like school leavers, recent graduates and people returning to work after extended absences such as maternity leave. I cannot see the point.

Surely my hours between 9-1 would be better spent further developing my writing skills, or actually looking for a job from the comfort of my living room. I have 3 targeted CV's updated within the past week, personal and professional references from 95% of every job I have had, An academic record that is respectable and I know perfectly well what to wear in an interview should I actually get one.

As we have now entered a recession, I feel that our illustrious Prime Minister K-Rudd's money would be better spent on somehow creating lots and lots of middle-of-the-road white collar jobs for educated, qualified people like myself, rather than forcing me to sit through a 20 hours of lectures on how to get a job. The reason I am not getting work is not because my CV is lacking, but because over 200+ people are applying for nearly every local job on the Sunshine Coast. I am mainly applying in Brisbane, where feedback in rejection emails is that "Due to the unforseen number of applicants we advise that you have not been shortlisted for this position" or "we had so many fricking applications that we couldn't be bothered to read them all, randomly picked 50 and shortlisted 5 from there to be interviews, sorry you didn't make the cut".

I am trying to remain open minded, it may be beneficial for me. I do however have the niggling feeling that I could need a stiff drink by lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment