Saturday, July 4, 2009

NOT Better Safe Than Sorry

I surprised myself the other day.  And I don’t mean by yelling “Boo” to myself either.

Waiting a traffic light, on my way to my supermarket job, thinking about ex-boyfriends, things I have done I shouldn’t, bad decisions etc, when I finally said to myself “Really.. how did my life come to this?”

Surely by the age of 25 I should have a meaningful career, and not be still living with my parents. Surely, as I live on the Sunshine Coast, I should be married with 25 children as everyone else seems to be. 

My current situation is made worse by the dreaded “What are you doing with yourself.. When are you going to sort yourself out” conversations that frequently come from my parents and other do-gooders who mean well. 

And then I remembered why I am single, living with my parents, broke and without a proper career.

I am single because the straggling relationship I had with my ex-boyfriend ended, and quite frankly after 2 years of that I am in no hurry to rush into another one because it seriously messed with my head. Better to be single than sorry. 

I live with my parents because I came home from 3 years abroad and had nowhere else to go, and if I may remind you Mum & Dad, because for the year before I came home I was plagued with “I miss you, when are you coming home” phone calls.

I am broke because I spent 3 years seeing the fricking world, drinking lots of wine, and buying pretty things in pretty places. 

The proper career, well I DO regret giving up my fabulous television job, but I’d probably be in the unemployment line now anyway if I hadn’t.  So on this I am inclined to blame the global financial crisis rather than my own stupidity. 

So everybody… I am in my current situation because I have been LIVING and trying to experience things away from the tiny circle that is the Sunshine Coast. Not disparaging the people who are content to just stay here forever, but this is not the life for me. So Mum & Dad, I’m not sorry that I’m destitute. Because I have great memories.. even if so many of them are foggy.  And If someone finally does find a crack in the time-space continuum I would do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment