Friday, December 25, 2009

The Meaning of Christmas


I don’t often like to share my religious beliefs with the world, as I think it is a rather private thing.

But today, I’d like to comment on the true meaning of Christmas.  Which is about Jesus, being born in a manger on a Holy Night in the Little Town of Bethlehem about 2040 years ago. 

Whether or not I believe he is the son of God or not is, I think, entirely irrelevant. The fact is, he is a man who dedicated his life to others, who performed miracles and who has given millions of people around the world for thousands of years something to believe in.  There is undeniable evidence to his existence (even the Muslims admit believe he was real) and today I celebrate not his birth, but what his life was about. Giving.

The giving of gifts and more importantly the giving of your time.  Because for most of us, the enforced company of family for 5 hours on Christmas Day is painful, but we endure it, to make others happy.

Today, as I listen to my lovely Christmas music, I say a little prayer for all the people throughout history who have dedicated their lives to making the world a better place.

People need something to believe in. And today I believe in Mary popping out a kid (with no epidural poor thing) in a stable, surrounded by cattle lowing, wise men and three kings. 

Bless you readers.  Ho Ho Ho!!

No comments:

Post a Comment