Monday, December 7, 2009

What’s That Strange Ticking Noise?


On the weekend I was delighted to finally meet two of my very best friends 5 week old Daughter, Miss Indi. 

I used to be a very baby-oriented girl.  I couldn’t get enough of them and all I wanted to do was get married and have babies. But after massive heartbreak and too much time spent being exposed to spoilt, bratty, smelly screaming children I thought perhaps not.

But then you meet a baby, that is part of two people that you love, and you automatically love them back.  Miss Indi looked at me with those massive blue eyes, smiled a bit... and then I felt that strange sensation that all women of a certain age will recognise.  My biological clock started ticking. 

This scared me a little bit.  I’m nowhere near ready for a baby.  I’m too selfish, and have got far too much life to live, still so much that I want to see and do before I become 100% responsible for another human being.

I successfully managed to prepare her formula, ,feed her, burp her, wipe up her drool and put her to sleep (by singing Bat Out Of Hell, naturally).  To be completely honest, I was beaming with pride.  I can take care of something without killing it, dropping it or making it sick. For a few hours at least. Today as I left the Gold Coast, I found that I was very sad to say goodbye. 

But oh boy is it nice to give them back when they scream and poo.  So biological clock.. you may be ticking.  But I’m definitely going to be hitting “snooze” for a few years..

No comments:

Post a Comment