Friday, September 28, 2012

5 reasons why my holiday is stressing me out

This time next week, I'll be getting ready to go to head to Heathrow and fly to Australia. 

Whilst the prospect of seeing my friends and family, and more importantly my dog is WONDERFUL I'm also very stressed about the whole thing. 

Firstly, 3 weeks off work when you are a contractor means 3 weeks of no pay. I have therefore spend the past few moths doing squat and will have to spend the next few months continuing to do squat to recover. 

Secondly, this will be the first time that any of my friends or family at home have met a boy I have been involved with. I'm still not entirely sure they believe he exists. What if the cultural divide is too strong? What if he doesn't like them? What if my mother bombards him with hints to move to Australia? 

Which brings me to point number three -
my parents are going to see this as a trial run for a move back to Australia, which I'm not sure about. I don't want to move home just yet, I like the life that The Boy and I have in London, and am not sure I can be happy at home. And I know that my mother is going to start crying a week before we fly back to London.

Fourthly, while 3 weeks of no work is difficult financially, I'm also concerned that work will decide that actually they can do just fine without me and get rid of me to save the money. As a contractor, there's very little job security. 

And finally - I have to get on a plane, which is bad enough at the best of times, but after extensive solo travel I have at least developed a routine. By travelling with The Boy this whole routine is thrown out of whack. I like my routine. I rely on my routine. 

So there you have it - 5 reasons why my tummy is in nots and I'm having trouble sleeping, all because of a "holiday".

3 comments:

  1. You must be stressed...you spelt knots as nots.
    1) You've proved you can do squat and enjoy it, and Winter is a great time to do just that.
    2) The Boy is lovely and everyone will love him or they're not real friends as they should see you're happy.
    3) Parents are parents. At least one of yours isn't moving to the UK.
    4) Contractor work is also freedom. You could move roles when you get back.
    5) Gin. The answer to plane travel is gin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very true on all counts xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're back. Was the stress justified?

    ReplyDelete