Tuesday, February 9, 2010

In The Company Of Females

 

Today I attended my first business womens networking meeting.  “You?” I hear you say.. “But you don’t like feminism!”

Well this is very true dear readers, but I am a massive fan of breakfast.  With the promise of eggs and bacon, maybe a croissant and a muffin I’d show up to a convention supporting Nazis/Terrorists/Whalers. 

I found this event very interesting.  With my industry I was not going to benefit so much from the networking, but I very much enjoyed the people watching. 

What I found interesting was the amount of women over the age of 35 who dye their hair bright artificial tones.  And not just highlights, I’m talking bright pink and purple hair.  My mother was a fan of the brightly coloured highlights until Dad and I told her she looked like an abstract painting and she went back to one lovely shade.

I think perhaps it is about re-claiming youth?  But really, this sort of hair looks good on no-one.  Very few people can pull off artificial hair tones and I think these people are usually dancers, artists or musicians with very fair skin. 

Also ladies, once you reach a certain age it is important to note that you will look far far sexier in a modest neckline and a knee length dress, than if you wear plunging neckline and a skirt up to your bits like you did in your twenties.  Fair enough go tight if you’ve still got your figure, why the hell not show it off. But there comes a point in every woman’s life when your hemline should be lowered.

This may sound a bit ageist but I think its more a matter of etiquette and class.  Think Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep, keeping it sexy and styling in their 50s and 60s by covering their knees and bingo wings. 

And these observations were all made this morning because my breakfast failed to capture my attention.  My eggs were runny, the bacon fatty and undercooked and there was NO TOAST. Honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment