Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tsunami? Oh My God, We Are All Going To Die!


Drinking wine on the Gold Coast on Saturday night, I wasn’t overly surprised to see a sever weather warning on the telly.  It is, after all our rainy time of year (for my many international readers – the “Sunshine Coast” is in the middle of a monsoonal low and it has been raining pretty much non-stop for a week) however it wasn’t for heavy rain or flash flooding. 

It was for a bloody tsunami.  Being my fathers daughter I immediately logged onto the Queensland Bureau of Meteorology website to see YES because of the earthquake in Chile a tsunami has been created.

Cue extreme paranoia.  Turns out, I’m not so good in a crisis.  I should have had this figured out after the Oktoberfest Bus Crash of 2008, where instead or remaining calm and bracing myself, I clutched at the boy I was seeing at the time screaming we’re going to die.  I was fricking PANICKY that not only might I drown, but that I would lose my car. 

This then caused me not to be able to sleep due to listening for the crashing on waves and warning sirens.  My insomnia could only be cured by a late night visit to a friend just over the way.. where a much needed cuddle calmed me down to the point where I could nap for a few hours.

Until I awoke at dawn and was out of bed every ten minutes checking to see if a killer wave had drowned my car.

So is Miss Ginger as calm, cool and collected as she likes to think she is? 

Apparently not.

PS. Whilst am very glad that no Tsunami hit Australia, thoughts and prayers are with the people of Chile.. and I hope people aren’t too stingy after helping Haiti to help Chile as well xx

No comments:

Post a Comment