Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A complete food turnaround

10 years ago, I worked at a lovely little place called The Natural Foodstore, sniggering in my head at all those spending extra money on organic food and vitamin supplements.

Today, as I sit at my desk with my gluten free organic porridge (made with rice milk) with cinnamon and a goji, acai, cacao powder thing on top I am wondering how on earth the tables turned so far around.

Firstly, I suppose, my intolerance to Gluten has caused a dramatic shift in my diet. Potentially brought on from years of indulging in sugary wheaty goodness, who knows. But now it's just not an option for me, and therefore many yummy things are off the menu.

Secondly, the health risks of eating badly are just too great.
Diabetes costs the NHS craploads of money each year, poor diet can contribute to heart disease and all other sorts of nasties, while a good diet can help prevent cancer, diabetes, infertility and all sorts.

Thirdly, I'm becomming increasignly aware of the shit that food producers put into what we consume. Chemicals, preservatives, and more scarily hormones. I just don't want that sort of rubbish in my body. Plus after watching Jimmy and the Giant Supermarket, I'm not suer I can eat cheap cuts of meat again (those poor piggies!) - Free range only for me.

Finally, fat people gross me out. Or rather, seeing fat parents walk around the supermarket with their overweight children, putting Coke, crisps and frozen pizza's in their trolley makes me not only disgusted in society, but really angry.What chance do they have?

No more McDonalds (maybe the odd Sundae), Xylitol over sugar, Organic Milk and no more hormone-ridden chicken. Well done me.

But seriously- who am I? There are days I hardly recognise myself! 




No comments:

Post a Comment