Monday, June 7, 2010

“How Are You? What STILL Single?” “Oh Sod Off”


Recently I’ve attempted catching up with some people I have not seen in awhile, and their first question is always “Any boys” “Seeing anyone”.  Quiet frankly it makes me a little cross.

Whether or not I am seeing anyone is not an indication of my well-being, how I am doing, whether or not I am enjoying my job, how my writing or my course is going or if I am currently just a bit fat (well, this COULD be an indication as to why I’m not seeing anyone). 

My reply that indeed I am still single is always met with one of the following:

a) The right one will come along when you are not looking or
b) Plenty of fish in the sea, bla bla bla or
c) You better get a move on or all the good men are taken.

I don’t mean to sound so Bridget Jones-ish, but really must all the smug married people be so fricking patronising. Coming from a small town it seems your self worth is based on whether or not you are shacked up. 

The fact of the matter is, I can’t see myself staying in this supposedly idyllic (read dull) quiet coastal village for the rest of my life.  I am not done having adventures, and it would take someone extraordinary to deter me from this.  Yes it would be lovely to have someone to share these adventures with, but I’m just as happy with the companionship of my friends, and the company of myself.

And since my resolution to stop whoring around has left me thinking that perhaps finding a man should be a little higher up on my agenda (purely so I can relieve some of my daily frustrations in a more satisfying way), I am not going to go out of my way to achieve this.

I’ve managed to evade Mother’s continual requests for grandchildren by the addition of our adoring and affectionate Border Collie, if only I could do the same for my friends.

2 comments:

  1. seriously have you ever looked over your work recently.
    I am not judgemental but it sounds like you are negative on everything apart from your love of a good book- open your mind put your opinions some times to the back you are allowed to have them but voicing them on silly subjects is just irritating.
    I also write a blog thnk you need to move out of your parents place, shave your legs - get out and have fun life is 2 short you cannot knock technology as because of this u are writing your blog as we speak contact your beloved friends daily in london or sell your old things on ebay.
    I have been following you from the start kinda thought you were very cute and interesting - someone i would like to date, you cant turn lifes little bumps into dramas - you wont be happy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback and for being a loyal reader.. all I can say is that I use this as a place to vent my frustrations.. which I suppose would frequently come off as negative.

    Moving out will come soon.. financially still a long way to go.. And I can assure you that I have shaved my legs :)

    ReplyDelete