Friday, June 19, 2009

Life in Black and White

I have always been considered by those closest to me to be somewhat of a geek. And I am ok with this.  Throughout my short life I find I have been increasingly frustrated by my generations lack of interest in the remarkable works that previous generations have produced.

I have so many friends who will refuse to watch movies that are black and white, or that were made prior to their birth.  And I feel sorry for them as they are missing out on some truly remarkable stories.  I am currently working my way through the “1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die” book and am I’m thoroughly enjoying it.  So many of these films were made in a time before special effects, before actors got $20 million per picture.  They are the benchmark for films today.

My favourite movie of all time is “The Wizard of Oz”.  Made in 1939 (And this year celebrating it’s 70th anniversary) it is a film that must have astounded audiences in the day.  In the age of black and white, it dazzles with its special effects, musical numbers and its transition to glorious Technicolour.  Today people laugh at the fact that you can see the strings holding up Lion’s tail and the painted backdrops are clearly visible.  Compared to the effects of today it is almost laughable, but how many movies of today do you think will entertain generations of children, families and adults for 70 years? 

Since the first “talkie” film in the 1920s there have been thousands of brilliant stories portrayed on screen and young people are missing out on enjoying them because they are “old”. 

It is the same with music.  I was once called a “stupid hippy” because I loved The Beatles.  That’s right, laugh at me because I love the music of a band who were at one of the most change-filled decade in history and who’s music is still enjoyed by millions 40 years on.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I don’t think that Ministry of Sound albums will inspire the same life-long affection in listeners.

I may be fighting a losing battle, but I am going to continue to watch these films, listen to classical music and the music of my parents and grandparents generations, and I’m going to try and get my future children to appreciate them as well. 

This is one part of my geekish nature that I am proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment