Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lent

This year I gave up chocolate for Lent. Partly for diet reasons, partly to prove that I could and partly because even though I turned my back on the “new” churches many years ago, I like to observe some traditions of faith.

I have an ongoing disagreement with one of my colleagues about this. When I mentioned that I was giving up chocolate for Lent there was much admonishment bla bla bla. Which I find frustrating on a variety of levels. For starters, it is inappropriate to talk about religion in the workplace. But more importantly, it is frustrating because I have never, told someone they were an idiot, or judged them, because their faith, or lack of faith is different to mine.

I don’t care whether you are an Athiest, Muslim, Catholic, Protestant, Jew or Buddhist (although never trust a vegetarian). Everyone has their own beliefs, no matter what they are. And whilst religion as a whole bothers me, and I know very well that The Bible, whilst having some (and I stress some) historical truth is really just an awesome story, nothing will shake my faith that God, in some form or another, is out there watching over us.

Because really, to go through life knowing that this is it? Without any mystery? That there is nothing happening when you die? No thank you.  

1 comment:

  1. True mystery comes when you give up faith.

    ReplyDelete