Sunday, November 22, 2009

New Moon vs The Vatican. New Moon Wins.

Yesterday I waited in line, clutching my tickets to see the latest instalment in the Twilight Saga “New Moon”.

I am a big fan of the books and found the movie highly enjoyable, very silly, and the audience comprised of 15 year old girls made me giggle with glee every time one of them whoop whooped at Jacob Black’s bare, buff and quite frankly delicious chest.

What I find interesting is the public reaction to the Twilight phenomenon. It reminds me of Pottermania of about 5 years ago, and it seems it is provoking the same amount of furore from the Vatican. 

Pope Benedict the whatever number he is publicly denounced the “subtle seductions” in Harry Potter, going on about how it promotes Un-Christian values towards Children (this is despite JK Rowling being a Christian herself and the whole 7 books being about the battle between good and evil, friendship and love).

Today it is Twilight that is angering the Holy people at the Vatican. Monsignor Franco Perazzolo has claimed that Twilight is a “deviant moral vacuum.. a mixture of excesses aimed at young people and gives a heavy esoteric element”. 

The first thing I did after reading this was of course look up the word esoteric (adj. Intended for or understood by only a particular group: an esoteric cult). The second thing I did was wonder why people take things so seriously.  I am the first person to admit I got carried away by the Harry Potter universe and have devoured the Twilight series with a hunger that surprised even myself. 

I think that perhaps the Vatican is a bit jealous, and without reason.  I mean, the bible is still the best selling book of all time and has more die-hard fans than all the Potter-heads and Twi-hards put together. So why complain? Are they worried that Rowling and Meyers are cutting into their book sales?  Jealous that whilst both series have hugely successful movie franchises, all they have is “The Passion of the Christ” and a few old Charlton Heston movies from the 50s? 

The quote that I liked best in this article (Saturdays Courier Mail) is that they think that the, and I quote, “the sex appeal of Robert Pattinson will have wider ramifications among Gnereation Y”.  I would like to know what these wider ramifications are? Pale will become cool? Men will become deliciously scruffy? All sounds pretty good to me! 

Twilight is not evil. It is not a cult. It is 4 books and 2 movies (so far) about a delicious love story, that has a legion of dedicated followers. Vampires and Werewolves are, I think, secondary to the romance.

And, in closing, as a Team Edward fan.. seriously Bella, quit being such a whore!  Getting poor Jacob all worked up then saying, sorry don’t need you anymore? Such a prick tease.

No comments:

Post a Comment