Monday, November 23, 2009

All By Myself (Not That I Mind)

As a somewhat only child and being perpetual singleton in a world of couples I have gotten extremely used to my own company. 

I travel alone, spent much of high school and uni hanging out with myself and I don’t have a particular issue with taking myself out for a nice meal.

This is why I don’t understand the vast majority of my friends who can’t even go to the movies on their own.  When I saw New Moon last Saturday, I said to my companion that it was the first time in such a long time that I could remember going to the movies with someone.

If I had waited for someone to do things with, then quite frankly, I would never have done anything.

My BFF and I always planned lots of holidays together, but never went, so in the end I went on my own (She went with her boyfriend/now husband).  I desperately wanted to go to Turkey with The Ex but he chose to go with another girl so I went on my own. I probably had a better time than if I had gone with him.

I’ll admit travelling by yourself is scary.  Moving to the other side of the world when you know less than 5 people, it’s scary! And perhaps not for everybody.  But spending quality time with yourself is important. Whilst I do enjoy company, sometimes even crave it, after days on end spent in the company of others I am longing for some alone time. I think perhaps I’ll always be that way.

So harden up dear readers and go see a movie on your own.  You’ll probably enjoy it more when you don’t have someone fidgeting beside you.

No comments:

Post a Comment