Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Friends & Old Friends


There is a beautiful poem by an author I cannot recollect that goes (something along the lines of)…

Make new friends, but keep the old
Those are silver, these are gold
Old made friendships, like fine wines
Age will mellow and refine
Friendships that have stood the test
Time and change, are surely best
So make new friends, but keep the old
Those are silver, these are gold

I read recently in Cleo magazine that you change your social circle almost entirely every 7 years.  When I actually thought about this I found it to be disappointingly true.  I am friends with few that I was at the age of 19.  People with whom I was then inseparable I have not heard a peep from in years.  Moving overseas for 2 years made me realise who my real friends at home were.  People I thought I was close I did not hear from at all during my travels. 

But last night I was privileged to enjoy dinner with old friends.  People I have known since I was in early high school, and whilst we may not see or speak to each other regularly it doesn’t matter. It is one of those friendships that has stood time, change and distance, that falls into easy familiar patterns.  I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard. 

Cherish these sorts of friends dear readers.. for I find they are few and far between.

1 comment: