Friday, January 29, 2010

Punctuality. A Lost Virtue


I was brought up to respect starting times. But it seems in today’s society people think it is perfectly acceptable to be half an hour late for a meeting.

I am not one of these people.  If you advertise that your event starts at 7, I will be there no later than 7.10pm.  Why? Because I am punctual.  If I tell you that I am having a dinner at 6.30, that does not mean you are to arrive at 6.45.. it means that I will have dinner ready to be served at 6.30. 

Being left waiting for someone to arrive is not something I enjoy.  It makes me feel like you cannot be bothered to show up on time, that you don’t actually care about me all that much. 

Likewise, if we have pre-arranged plans, I do not appreciate you cancelling on me, telling me that you will be a few hours or saying you are just popping to another party first.  You have made plans with me. Therefore keep them.

Punctuality seems to be lost on everyone these days.  And not just people, television stations are notorious for shows running late.  I do not care if there is some crappy live reality TV show on, I would prefer my 8.30 show to start promptly at 8.30. 

So dear readers, I challenge you all to make 2010 the year of being on time for things.  The year of punctuality!

No comments:

Post a Comment