Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hero My Ass


As I was waiting for the kettle to boil at work today I was flicking through a Woman’s Day magazine.

A particular headline bother’s me greatly. “Olympic Hero Steven Bradbury something about his babies”.

For those of you who aren’t aware of Steven Bradbury, he is an Olympic speed ice-skater, whom during the previous Winter Games was coming last, yet won a gold medal as everyone else collapsed in a heap and he was the only one who stayed on their skates.

I fail to see how this makes him a hero.  In fact despite Australia’s inclination to brandy anyone who one a sporting event a hero, I fail to see how any sportsmen and women are heroes.  They did not save a child from a burning building, they did not let a battalion of men onto the battlefield.  They did not save a life by doing a heart transplant.

All these Olympians have done to deserve the title of “Hero” is run, swim, jump, skate or kick a damn ball slightly better than everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment