Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Assessement Positive

Today I received back my first assignment feedback from the writing course I am doing by distance education.

Having been out of school and university for so long (10 years since High School, 7 since University) I have forgotten the sheer elation that one gets when you receive positive feedback on your work.  Sure, I get praise from my boss from time to time, however this is not as satisfying as I'm PAID to do a good job and quite frankly if it wasn't praise worthy I would be dissapointed in myself. 

This however is much different.  This is something I have written for myself, that a respected journalist has praised. Quite frankly I am as pleased as punch. In fact I am nearly as elated as when my favourite romance novelist posted on her Facebook page that my blog was a "Great Column".  

What is even better is that it is marked in far less red pen than the copy that I write for work is.  As mentioned before, I work with former teachers, who seem to find it their duty to find things wrong with your work and write all over it in red pen.  The first few times this happened I felt like I did during my first semester at university when my tutor gave me back my assignment scribbled all over with "acceptable" written on the front.  This, I might add was the first time in my life I had ever received a grade less than "Above Average" and this made me VERY irritable indeed. 

So dear readers, my positive grade is making me feel positive about life again and my potential career as a columnist.  However far into the future that may be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment