Sunday, February 20, 2011

Parental decisions


Parents are difficult creatures.

Sure, they raised you, most of the time to the best of their ability but sometimes you just wish they'd let you do what you need to do without the lectures.

I've been considering a move back to London, which my father is violently against. I daren't even mention it to my mother as I know exactly what her reaction will be. She will roll her eyes and say something along the lines of "Grow Up" which will then somehow lead into an argument about my outfit or weight and we will not speak for a few days.

What I don't think they understand is that this is part of me growing up. I have reached the cross-roads of my life and I can either do what they think is best, or I can follow my heart.  I could spend the majority of my evenings online at home online with my loved ones, or I could just be there.

But how do you tell the people that raised you and supported you when you came home unemployed, destitute and heartbroken that you want to leave them?  As an only child (well sort of) I also have the consideration that I am all my parents have. It’s not like there are 2 other kids around to keep them amused whilst I am gallivanting on the other side of the world.  

Also, It's not like I would be living the same lifestyle as I was in 2007.  I'm much older now and ever so slightly more sensible.  I don't want to spend all my money at Primark and at the pub and on weekends away like I once did, just a small percentage of it (let’s face it, Primark, Topshop and H&M may just be the loves of my life).  I also wouldn't be spending my money on feeding a useless EX like last time around, or loaning any friends money. 

I would be there to start my life, not "ruin it" as Dad thinks.  This is not a decision I am taking lightly or something I am doing on a whim.  Made ever so difficult by the fact that once I’ve decided for myself, I have to convince my parents. 

3 comments:

  1. My mom freaked when I told her I was moving to Australia. It's a natural reaction, and while she'd love for me to be closer to her, she's knows this is my home, that I'm happy here, she's happy for me, and she visits me every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no intention of moving out to Australia forever.. so when I departed the UK I went with promises of "I'll be back in a year..."

    3 years later I'm still here and waiting for my permanent visa to come through.

    My Dad is so supportive and while he misses me like crazy, keeps telling me not to come back because I have such a better life here.
    My mom on the other hand regularly guilt trips me and makes me feel terrible for being so selfish.

    At the end of the day its our life now, not theirs and we have to leave the nest eventually...

    (and lets remind our selves of this when our own chicks are trying to leave the nest and move 15,000,000 miles away in many years times!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as you keep a positive attitude you can find that any change/decision you make is the right one. I could look back on my life and think I wasted years of my life in Uni getting an Accounting degree - going out with girls that were wrong for me.
    Or I could think that was a great expirence and if it wasn't for the fact that I grew sick of a job/being in bad relationships I'd have never travelled, never landed in a job I actually enjoy and met someone that loves me as much as I love them.
    Wasted years? No....just learning expirences.

    ReplyDelete