Sunday, May 16, 2010

Time Machine


When 17 Again came out I blogged about what I would do with my do-over. And I haven’t really thought about it again until I was blessed to see the hilarious and quality movie Hot Tub Time Machine (which btw was hilarious and a quality piece of cinema because one of my oldest friends worked on it).

The premise is – middle age mediocre men decide to take a weekend away and get obscenely drunk in a Hot Tub, spilling some Soviet energy drink in the electrics transporting them back to 1986. Where they of course fix their lives and end up being incredibly happy and rich (Lougle.. hee hee).

It’s very strange. Somedays I think that a do-over would be fabulous. I could go back and reverse all those incredibly dumb decisions I have made in the past few years. I could have worked harder at my job, been nicer to my friends, be more pleasant to my family. 

But then, I wouldn’t have learnt some incredibly valuable lessons about the value of money, or that people, in fact, don’t often change for the better. 

What I would like to do however, is to go back in time and stop myself from watching the following films:

A Very Brady Sequel, Contact, The Wicker Man, The Matrix, The Matrix Revolutions, Star Wars Phantom Menace, Dark City, Red Planet, 10,000 BC, Legally Blonde 2, The Ring, Vanilla Sky, The Cell, Me, Myself & Irene, Final Destination, Babe:Pig in the City, Lost In Space, Memoirs of a Geisha, Boat Trip and countless stupid movies The Ex forced upon me.    

That’s a few days of my life I could have spend doing something way more productive. Like re-watching Friends or That 70s Show.

2 comments:

  1. I hated Memoirs because the whole tension and relationship between her and 'Chairman' are so lame on screen in comparison to the book - but 'duh' I guess... movies are never as good as the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agreed Mindy! Very few movie adaptations live up to their book counterpart. I mean I love the Bridget Jones films, but even then they missed so much important canon out! And don't get me started on how much they've excluded out of Harry Potter. The constant gardener I though was just as good as the book however. You did get the odd few where this is the case.

    ReplyDelete