Sunday, November 28, 2010

The grass is greener?


On Tuesday I’m off to the my favourite city in the world. But it’s not without some trepidation.

A couple of sleepless nights have got me thinking about whether or not the grass is always greener.

Do I love the place so much for what it was two years ago.. or do I love the place for what it is?  What if I get there and it’s nowhere near as awesome as I remember?

The three years I lived there were pretty jam packed, with some of the biggest highs and lows of my life.  It was the place I first fell in love, the place where I first had a friend die. The place where I first had a group of friends of my very own, and the place where I had my very first heartbreak.  Events like these put pretty fixed memories and impressions about places in your mind.

Part of me hopes that this trip gets the place out of my system for awhile, so I can commit to settling at home in Australia for awhile.  Another part of me hopes that by going back to the place where things started, I’ll finally get some closure from baggage I just can’t seem to shake.

As usual I have over thought things and placed great expectations on this trip.  For once though, I know I’m not setting myself up for disappointment.  Because in London are some of the things I love the most – shops, men (with accents), booze, history and some of my very best friends. 

It’s hard not to love somewhere that has all those things, even amidst a tube strike in summer.

See you on Wednesday London x

No comments:

Post a Comment