Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Before I Turn 30: Become a Manager

I've now been in my professional career in "marketing" for nearly 10 years. Or rather 10 years on and off while I battled with bouts of wanderlust and unemployment.

But finally, after many a mediocre job and much hard work I have finally succeeded and been promoted to a management role. That's right, Marketing Manager at a prestigious (ish) media firm in London. I get to control a big budget, and am responsible for the development of my young exec. Hurrah!

However, this is never something that
I particularly strove towards, nor was it necessarily a goal for me to achieve before I was 30, but a number of people have indicated to me that it should have been. After all, if you've been in the same profession for a decade, and not yet progressed to a senior position, people will inevitably wonder - what's wrong with you then?

One of my colleagues had a set-out plan to be in management by the time they were 30, senior management by 34 so it seems the sort of thing that many people would aspire to. Not this Ginger. My number 1 career aspiration is to make lots and lots of lovely money in a job I don't hate. *gasp!*

This is not the sort of thing one can normally admit to in a job, and I wish it was. What's so wrong to want a career that give you enough money to pay the bills, buy wine and have the odd holiday - all while not despising going to work every day?

Absolutely nothing.

But well done me on my promotion regardless :)



No comments:

Post a Comment