Saturday, February 19, 2011

Friends


When I was younger, I got frustrated with always being the one to do the inviting, when going out and about, and never being the “invitee”. 

At the time my Dad gave me some advice. Stop contacting these people, they will either do one or two things.  They will either call you up in a few weeks to see what’s going on, or you may never hear from them again.

I’ve found the latter tends to happen more often.  Recently I was frustrated enough to take this drastic action again, and now two months have gone by and not a peep out of them apart from a random facebook message on a can of passion pop.

The thing is, I can’t figure out whether or not this upset me.  After 28 years it certainly doesn’t surprise me.  And instead of staying home waiting for them to respond to my text messages with the inevitable “sorry busy” message, I have been cultivating new friends and doing more things on my own.

It’s rather amazing how relieving it is, and how much happier you can be when you stop relying on other people to make your fun, and just get out there and fucking do things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment