Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Old Fashioned Values

I found myself liking David Cameron lately. Particularly his recent call to return to Christian values, which despite a bit of a backlash makes perfect sense to me.

Rarely do I admit my religious beliefs, mainly because I have many friends whose opinions are staunchly opposite to mine and I was brought up that some things should be kept private. But I have to say, that the return to some Christian values, would do us all the world of good.

To me, this has absolutely nothing to do with promoting Christianity over different religions, as for the most part the fundamental values of each religion are the same. And its these that we should start to embrace.

The importance of family, of fidelity, of helping those who are less fortunate than you, respect for your elders, of not being selfish, helping out your neighbours, common politeness and keeping the faith (no matter what faith that is) all seem to have fallen by the way side.

So often do I see teenagers not standing up for the elderly on the bus, too often I hear stories of people cheating on their partners, and I’m the first to admit that my charitable acts have been much less in recent years than they could have been. To my horror people frequently don’t even say thank you or smile when provided with a service.

I applaud David Cameron for saying what many of us must be thinking. If times are going to be tough as they say, then perhaps a revival of old-fashioned values is just what we need.

2 comments:

  1. Which Christian values? Killing gay people? Stoning adulteress women? Killing your first born to honor The Lord?

    Standing up for the elderly has NOTHING to do with Christian values. The values you quote have NO BASIS in Christianity. That's just The Golden Rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I said "some" Christian values Jay.. not all of them, particularly not fundamentalist beliefs.

    2. I do not enter into religious or political debates with you. We decided that long ago :)

    3. Merry Christmas ;)

    ReplyDelete