Monday, March 25, 2013

Before I turn 30: Cocktails at The Rivoli Bar

I have created a list of things that I want to do before I turn 30 later this year. Turning 30 does have that notion that I should now be a grown up, and yet there are still so many frivolous things that I want to do, so me being me, I made a list.

One of the things on my ever-growing list was to go to The Rivoli Bar at The Ritz, so on Friday, The Boy and I got dressed up, and he took me to The Ritz after work for a few celabratory cocktails (his bonus, my promotion)


The Rivoli Bar, like The Ritz itself, is a grand old institution, and I imagine has seen many a famous face over its long establishment. It is a shame then, that we were made to feel slightly unwelcome by the doorman.

After making our way up Picadilly in the sleety rain, the doormen attempted to tell us that they were fully booked (but that you couldn't make a reservaton) and that they had been turning people away all day. We persisted, and after being left outside the bar for at least 10 minutes, we found a waiter to seat us in a nearly empty bar. In fact, only a few other people made there way in in the two hours or so we were there.

Feeling slightly disheartened that we obviously weren't the desired clientelle, I still thoroughly enjoyed the ambience and our two very expensive cocktails. My first was The Ritz 100, created to celebrate the centenary of The Rivoli Bar, with gold leaf floating about it in. Delicious. My second was the Dazzling Gem - a cocktail that can only be described as tasting like jam. Even more delicious.



So, £78 worth of cocktails, and two complimentary nut bowls later and I have officially ticked something off my to-do list.

If you are in London, or celebrating a special occasion, I would recommend making the effort to have a drink, however be prepared to be turned away on your first attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment