Monday, April 29, 2013

Domestic Bliss Part 4: House Hunting

Recently, the boy and I made the somewhat monumental decision to purchase our first home. A lovely piece of the world that we will own (or rather the bank will) and can start a proper grown up life together of DIY, dinner parties and growing vegetables, perhaps even some chickens.

It turns out that house hunting is possibly the most stressful thing ever.


As an Australian, I grew up in a place where the real estate market is relatively straightforward. There is no leasehold / freehold, there is no onward chain (if you put your house on the market.. you are prepared to get the fuck out when you sell it), you don't worry about people stripping the floorboards and light switches before you move in.

The Boy and I have never once fought. Ever. We've bickered about dishes and socks, but this week, in the midst of lining property viewings, I have sworn, thrown things around the room (not at him obviously, just at the wall) and in general turned into a somewhat petulant child. The stress is just too much for me right now. My recent promotion has already got me slightly on edge, and  this has just about sent me to breaking point.

Thank goodness I managed to snare a man with a patient soul, who thankfully loves me at my worst. For now at least... because the really stressful part is still to come!

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment