Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Very Theatrical Weekend



When I was in school, I dreamed of nothing but being an actress – spending my afternoons in drama classes and performing in every show I could.. and here is a rather embarassing photographic evidence of a 1996 production with Helen O'Grady Children's Drama Academy and some very bad hair...


Inevitably, it was the realisation that I rather enjoy having a reliable income and don’t have the discipline to work hard enough to make it.

However, despite now working in a dreary office, I still love going to the theatre – the whole atmosphere and experience and the thrill of a live performance.

So I was rather spoilt this weekend when I went to not one, but TWO shows – at completely opposite ends of the production spectrum.

The first was a Saturday matinee trip to the Noel Coward in the West End to see Daniel Radcliffe in The Cripple of Innishman. I will admit, I only booked it because of my Harry Potter obsession and knew nothing about it, and was pleasantly surprised. It was quite a simply a very, very funny and witty show and Dan was excellent. 
My second theatre jaunt on the weekend was a surprisingly engaging one man show, put on in a swelteringly hot theatre above The Latchmere Pub in Battersea. I knew nothing about Our Friends, The Enemy, by Alex Gwyther prior to seeing it, and found it to be a very human piece about The Christmas Truce (a truly remarkable story), and very well performed and written.  It moves next to Edinburgh Fringe Festival next month, and if you are in that neck of the woods you should absolutely check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment