Saturday, October 23, 2010

Milk

Watched Milk with Sean Penn today and by the time it finished I was angry.

It’s hard to imagine in today’s society that only 30 years ago crazy fundamentalist Christians were running a nation-wide campaign proclaiming gays as evil, and that they didn’t have the “god given” right to housing or jobs.

I used to belong to a church. In my youth I was looking for something and “Found Jesus”.  You know what though, I think that Jesus would be ashamed at how some of his followers behaved.

I could be mistaken, but I’m pretty damn sure that The Bible says something about not judging others, accepting other people and that only God was allowed to judge people when they came to the gates of heaven.

My experience with church was that this so-called Christian people walking the talk were the more judgemental than a trial at Nuremburg. 

I stopped going to church for a number of reasons. Mainly because so called “best friends” stopped talking to me because I liked to have a few drinks and because I lost my virginity.  And also because of certain things said against Harry Potter by people who hadn’t even read it (come ON preacher dudes, it’s 7 epic books on good vs evil, friendship, loyalty and love!).

Cause you know what, God loves me regardless of whether I adore wine and like to be thoroughly shagged occasionally.  And it may not be what he originally intended, but God love those gay activists like Harvey Milk too.

I admire people like Harvey Milk, who passionately believe enough about something to actually get of their arse and do something about it. 

And as much as I enjoy a movie that makes me think and stirs my heartstrings, now it is time to turn on something lighthearted and cheesy, with a guaranteed happy ending.

1 comment:

  1. There are STILL fundamentalist Christians running nation-wide campaigns proclaiming gays as evil. They're called the Tea Party.

    ReplyDelete