Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Therapeutic Value in Jigsaw Puzzles

Since being unemployed and broke I have got into the habit of borrowing jigsaw puzzles from the library. For some reason I am really enjoying them and have become slightly addicted to them.
I find them strangely therapeutic. It’s something about putting together the pieces that clears the mind. I think perhaps it is being so focused on a scene of beauty. Because let’s face it, jigsaw puzzles are always of the beautiful churches of Europe, or a picturesque lake in Canada or an old man fishing somewhere.

Doing a jigsaw puzzle feels me with satisfaction as it is one problem I can solve. I can’t fix the horrible situation the global financial crisis has put me in, and I can’t seem to fix my broken heart (even though I am trying really hard) but I CAN put together 500 pieces of cardboard and create a pretty picture. And at this stage in my life... that is nothing to sneeze at.

1 comment: