Friday, April 17, 2009

Would I Want to be 17 Again?

Yesterday I braved the school holiday crowds to go and see my latest celebrity crush Zac Efron’s new movie 17 Again.

The movie in itself was highly enjoyable, and eclectic mix of comedy, teenage romance with the right amount of awkwardness and bare chests thrown in.

However, seeing this movie was a horrific flashback to my days of being 14-15. Were we really so fricking rude to the other people in the cinema? Throwing popcorn, running around and generally just being annoying. The girl next to me was hogging the entire arm rest and the girl on my other side was constantly talking to her sister about Greek Philosophy (No, I am not kidding).

Also I am sure that I did not wear clothes so revealing when I was a youngster... this could have been due to the fact my mother would not let me shave my legs so I therefore covered them as much as possible and also my boobs did not come in until about 20, so nothing to show there.
Would I, like Matthew Perry in said movie, want to go back to high school and do-over? Relive the so called glory days? The answer to that is of course a resounding NO. High school sucked. The girls were mean, the boys took no interest in me . I was awkward and my allergies were bad. And whilst most of my fellow Class of 2000 now have careers, spouses and babies, I have at least travelled most of Europe, I have seen the world and got some experience that they will never have been able to get on the Sunshine Coast.

And whilst I am sure I would like my own “It’s a Wonderful Life” Capra-esque moment of doing life again (Really.. Matthew Perry jumping off the bridge to save the old man??? COME ON.. what a rip off! Jimmy Stewart would not be amused) I would not go back to high school. I would travel back about a year.. end my ex-relationship for good instead of letting it linger, and I would not have come back to Australia. But then who knows what would have happened? I could have died of pneumonia in the big freeze London had earlier in the year.

I have decided that the whole time-shift thing is rubbish and only works in movies where you know that you are guaranteed a happy ending. Life will continue in the same way no matter what. Therefore I shall not dwell on the past, but instead dwell on Zac Efron shirtless... Zac if you ever fancy an older woman to show you a thing or two... let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure we were never that rude... Well I'm sure *I* wasn't! ;)

    And you're stuck on the grass is greener stuff again. Sure you could have stayed here, but then you quite possibly would have been unemployed and single here. But you'd be cold and miserable and 17000km from home.

    Trust me, miserable at home is FAR better than miserable away. You'd be having Wetherspoons brekkies with me and wondering why the hell you didn't go home!

    She'll be right cobber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really think you are that much of a godess?????

    ReplyDelete