Thursday, July 2, 2009

Blame it on the Boogie… R.I.P

When I was in Sydney last week, I, like the rest of the world, was shocked to hear of the death of Michael Jackson.

It actually made me a little sad.  It wasn’t expected and its strange to feel that we live in a world without the King of Pop.  He’s been famous and making music longer than I have been alive.

Yes his “Wacko Jacko” reputation is justified (really.. a skin disease?) and obviously the past decade has been filled with controversy, nearly destroying his career. At the height of the child scandal it seemed the whole world was against him.

And now, everyone’s on the Jackson train.  Every music shop I have visited had Jacko’s albums out the front on display, cashing in while they can. 95% of the stores I popped into were playing his greatest hits.  This just made me a bit sad.

There isn’t really much more of a point to this blog. Rather than for me to state that, say what you like about him, he was, from the age of 12, possibly the greatest entertainer of the 20th Century.  And I hope, that unlike the Princess Diana saga of the past 10 years, the media finally let him rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment