Thursday, February 4, 2010

Protecting Your Family Honour? More Like Burying It Alive…


As you know readers, I am not often political, and do not often give my views on things like human rights.

But today I read an article (read here) that made my already flu-ish stomach churn even more. 

In Turkey, a 16 year old girl by the name of Medine Memi was buried alive in an “honour killing” because she made friends with boys.  To quote an expert "The autopsy result is blood-curdling. According to our findings, the girl, who had no bruises on her body and no sign of narcotics or poison in her blood, was alive and fully conscious when she was buried.” 

In general I am respectful of other cultures.  I appreciate that we are different and I love to travel and see how people do things in other places.  Turkey, in fact was one of my favourite countries that I have so far seen.  Even when something goes against my beliefs, I will still try and see their side of it.

But quite frankly, I thank the Lord that I was not born in a country where my family would murder me for talking to a strange man.  Where friendship with men brings dishonour to your family.  I’m sorry, I thought brutally abusing and murdering your own child brings dishonour aplenty to the family name.

I studied human rights as part of my International Business degree whilst at University and I remember reading about the many atrocities against women under the extreme Sharia Law.  And I am ashamed to say that for the most part I have put it out of my mind. 

Frequent readers will know that I am not a feminist, that I like traditional roles for women and that I can’t stand girls nights out. But my opinions and perspective comes from a middle-class western background where women, for the most part, do have equal standing amongst men.  But I would gladly endure a thousand girls night outs to see this injustice to women stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment