Thursday, November 26, 2009

2012 & All It’s Impending Doom


Yesterday I went and saw 2012.  I have always been a massive fan of the disaster movie epic. Armageddon, Deep Impact, Independence Day.. Love the romance, the father/daughter thing, the saving the world. 

2012 did not disappoint me. Yes it was a bit ridiculous but it was highly enjoyable, John Cusack was delicious as the stereotypical anti-hero.  The special effects were great and there was enough deaths, suspense and goodbyes to keep me in tears for the majority of the film.

The whole premise of the film was that the ending of the Mayan Calendar in December 2012 signals the end of days, the apocalypse, the rapture.  Slightly ridiculous really, but is it? 

Curious, I got on Wikipedia to read up on the 2012 phenomenon.  December 21st 2012 is said to be the end of a 5,125 year old Mayan Calendar.  I continued reading and got very confused by all the big words.  There is something about a planet alignment, global shifts in consciousness, geomagnetic reversal, black hole alignment etc etc.

Interestingly it is also the year that analogue television will switch off in many countries, the year of the London Olympics (therefore a leap year), the year that a massive near earth size object will pass earth, there’ll be a couple of solar eclipses, the 60th jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II,  the year that the US will cease military control of the Republic of Korea and I will turn 29. 

After reading a number of websites I came to the conclusion that whilst there is lots of theories, nobody seems to have any proof of anything and that it may just be a bit of Y2K fad. 

So if the world really is going to end, just as the Mayan’s may or may not have said, I won’t be one of the millions of people scrambling for higher ground or trying to outrun a giant super-volcano/tsunami/massive hole in the earth’s crust like in the movie.   What would be the point?  I’d much rather say a prayer, open a bottle of wine, and spend my last few hours on earth with a beautiful looking naked man.  And on the plus side.. I won’t have to deal with the whole turning 30 thing. 

God Bless As All. 

No comments:

Post a Comment