Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Irish Cheer


Today, St Patricks Day, I am reminiscing on the many encounters I have had with Irish people over the years.

I think that they have got to be the friendliest people on earth.  From the couple in Dublin that bought The Ex and myself lollipops and taught us the words to songs, to the mum with kids in Killarney who stopped me to ask if I needed directions to the lovely old man at the bus station in Limerick who told me I was far too pretty to be an Australian.

The encounter that stands out the most though is when I was in Liverpool, England in 2006, walking around the streets by myself, after the guy I was seeing ditched me and a close friend had died in the same week.  Three lovely Irish boys took me out on the town, bought me drinks made me laugh and then at the end of the night put me in a taxi and sent me back to my hostel, all without cracking on to me.

I love the Irish.  Nearly as much as I love the Scottish (who are grumpier by temperament but MUCH sexier)

No comments:

Post a Comment