Thursday, May 5, 2011

Welcome to Brunei

As the song-like call to prayer rings out through the tiny transit lounge of Brunei Airport, I am weary, tired and uncomfortable after Part 1 of my journey to London.
For those who have not travelled with Royal Brunei Airways before, I thoroughly recommend their service, however, I would not fly again for the simple reason of this is possibly the worst airport I have ever encountered.
I’ve been to many airports in my time, and so far, Split Airport in Croatia has held the position of worst. But this one, I think, is the new winner.
When I went for my traditional transit loo break, I entered a smelly, soaking wet room. Why soaking wet? Well, the lady was cleaning it, by throwing buckets of water all over the toilets. As I was wearing skinny jeans I was unable to use the squatting facilities, and therefore waited in line for the one Western toilet.
Having washed my hands three times, I set off in search of something to eat. Alas, once again all I could find was One Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf with a sole overwhelmed barrista attempting to make coffee for what seemed like the entire passenger load of a Boeing 777, or an old school diner, where the entire menu was not available.
I made do with the convenience shop, and purchased a Starbucks Vanilla Frappacino (half of which was disposed due to it’s disgustingness) and a packet of Twisties. That’s right, Twisties. Similar packaging, same shape, ever so slightly less orange and a rather different taste, but still Australian Twisties. In hindsight I wish I had gone for Dr Joy’s Original Joy Juice (hee hee!)
But what baffles me the most, is that on a completely dry airline and airport, they are selling souvenir shot-glasses.
Stay Classy, Brunei. 

No comments:

Post a Comment