Friday, December 4, 2009

Is It Winter Yet?


There is something really unfair about watching a lovely Christmas movie, where everyone is rugged up in gorgeous winter clothes, trudging through the snow, drinking hot chocolate. “Why is this unfair?” I hear you ask.. because for me, this Christmas, it will be hot. STINKING hot. HUMID. STICKY. UNPLEASANT.

I am not a fan of summer. I like the idea of it that is portrayed in movies where everybody is at the beach, sipping cocktails and wearing floaty dresses. But the reality is: I get sunburnt = more freckles. It is humid = sweaty armpits, thighs, knee pits and cleavage. There are bugs = bug in your cocktails and itchy bites.

People idolise summer. Those who do I think are from cold climates like the UK.  When I was living there so many people used to say “Bet you miss the heat”, “I wish I lived in a hot place BLA BLA BLA”.  NO!  I like it cold.  Cold means no bugs, sweat or sunburn.  It means not sitting inside with the curtains drawn and air con on because if you go outside you will get heat exhaustion. It means that you can get in your car without getting third degree burns from the seatbelt buckle and steering wheel. You can handle your alcohol better in the cold. 

So when my lovely friends in England have been texting me telling me how cold it is, I think to myself as I sit in underwear on my bed with fan blowing on me, too hot to sleep – you lucky bastards.

Day 19 of 365

No comments:

Post a Comment