Friday, January 15, 2010

Google vs China


I don’t often comment on political news, but I am currently baffled by the whole Google vs China saga.  (This may explain it better - http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-approach-to-china.html?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-ww-ww-bk-cn&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20china )

I wish that I understood this matter more so I could make some insightful comments. But I don’t. 

This is what I have gathered – Google thought China was a lucrative market, so decided to cave in to their censorship demands.  China goes all Big Brother and starts cyber-spying and reading peoples emails.  Google tell China to shove it. 

Well done Google, but let’s think about this.. I’m not sure China care.  China have been doing exactly whatever they please for as long as I can remember.  From my studies of China in Modern history I have never thought very highly of them.  Sure, the Great Wall is pretty great.. but the Tiananmen Square massacre kind of puts a damper on that.  I’m not saying that Australia or any other country doesn’t have their own shameful past.  What I’m saying is, the world can say and do what they like.. I’m pretty sure that China doesn’t give a hoo-ha. 

And now I’m going to go and remove all personal information from the internet..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment