Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Truth Universally Acknowledged


My recent mood I’ve been in lately has left me a bit restless. And in my restlessness I’ve been calling upon my old friends to calm me down. 

I first read Pride and Prejudice when I was 9 years old.  I remember my teacher at the time thought it was too advanced for me, but I had been reading lengthy stories since I was a wee lass (The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe when I was 6).

The story of Darcy and Elizabeth has enchanted me for 18 years. The language of Austen has comforted me for nearly as long. 

Jane Austen was a single lady, who by the time she was my age had written magical stories that have since become some of the most widely read books of all time.

This may sound horribly geeky, but my favourite books are my friends.  When I’ve been sick in bed, or home on a Saturday night, they have always been there.

And they always will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment