Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Forced Social Interaction


Gone are the days when your lunchbreak was yours alone.  I work for a company where we are all forced to sit down and have morning tea together. Taking up a grand total of 30 minutes of our designated 1 hour break in the day.



Whilst sometimes I enjoy this, I do for the most find it a rather forced affair.  It is not that I do not like my colleagues because I do, rather that I would rather spend my break time doing what I like (such as blogging or facebooking), rather than sitting in a circle talking about other people’s children, grandchildren, what people watched on telly last night or even worse, when the conversation dries up and everyone sits looking into their coffee mugs.

Whilst it is an “Optional” affair people do tend to look at you strangely when you don’t go.  Which I also think is a little unfair and makes me feel like the world’s biggest bitch. The fact of the matter is, unless I am in the mood for people, I enjoy my solitude.  Because other people’s trivialities (unless they are a very close friend) annoy the crap out of me and frequently put me in a bad mood.

But today I suppose I better be diplomatic and go pretend to be interested.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment