Tuesday, August 17, 2010

An Election Commentary

For those of you not on Australian soil, you may not be aware that we are currently at the peak of election campaigning with this somewhat-great nation of ours to elect a new Prime Minister on Saturday. 

I have never been one for talking about my political opinions.  And I find it interesting, that so many people, particularly in the workplace are so willing to share there adamant political and religious beliefs. I tend to keep my mouth shut during these conversations.

My political views have always been that people vote for two reasons - one because they have voted for that particular party there entire life, or they are voting for the lesser of two evils. 

I care not how much money you are giving to schools, or this broadband network.  My internet works just fine thank you.  As a single person, finally somewhat financially independent and childless, none of these election promises matter to me.   Giving more money to schools? Great, more taxes coming out of my pocket so someone else's offspring can have access to a computer.  Millions of us got a perfectly good education without computers thank you very much.  

Then there is the minor political parties saying that legitimising gay marriage is the equivalent of child abuse.  Statements like this are not likely to swing my vote.  

And don't give me any of that feminist bullshit.  I will not, ever, vote someone into power because they are a woman.  Having breasts is not a legitimate reason to run the country, otherwise Kim Beasley would have been in power long ago.   A legitimate reason to vote for someone is because they are capable of running the country without pissing off other, more powerful world leaders or sending us broke.  

So who will I be voting for in Saturday general election?  That I'm afraid is between me and, well me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment