Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother’s Day Guilt Trip


You may have noticed that today is Mother’s Day.

How you could have missed it is beyond me.  Retailers have been pressuring us all into spending hundreds of dollars on our mothers.. Just because.  Mother’s Day is the second biggest retail day after Christmas.

To say I dissapproved would be an understatement.  I hate the retailers have decided that I am a bad person if I don’t buy my mother new slippers and a dressing gown, or chocolate and soap.  I don’t want to spend my money on this rubbish.  

Please don’t get me wrong, I love my mother, but we fight a lot and annoy the crap out of each other.  If perhaps she stopped telling me that I’m fat or that my clothes look rubbish on me, and that big bottomed girls shouldn’t wear skinny jean, or refrained from asking me when she is getting grandchildren, or when I am going to get married and move out then perhaps I would be more inclined to spend my money on frivolous nonsense. And unfortunately today, on Mother’s Day I don’t remember the countless nice things she has done to me. What I do remember is her telling me when I was 16 that I wasn’t pretty enough to be an actress (the only thing I ever wanted to do), or her telling me that my blog was ridiculous and “who would ever want to read such things”, and her snickering every time I tell her of one of my aspirations to travel to far flung places.

That is the sad truth of it. On the whole she is a good person and I love her, but I have come to accept that in this family, there are mother daughter issues that are long to be resolved.

But I will try and behave today and be nice because society tells me to. And my Father will kill me if I do not.

1 comment:

  1. hehe the evil side of me is saying you should have bought her anti-wrinkle cream to make up for all of the grandchildren comments! However as the old saying goes 'treat others as you would like to be treated' :) bet your mum was well chuffed with her flowers x Ali

    ReplyDelete