Friday, January 7, 2011

Post Holiday Blues


Getting back to hum-drum reality of your day to day life after being on holidays is hard. Very hard.

I've had three lengthy stints in the UK now, the most recent the shortest, and each time I have returned home I've found myself slightly discontent. It's hard to leave a place that you love.  It's even harder saying goodbye to the people that you love. 

Don't get me wrong, in a way it's nice to be home.  Despite my many protestations I do love my family very much. I love my family home as well.    After a month living out of a suitcase it is nice to be back in my room, sleeping in my bed (with all my lovely pillows), washing my hair with a normal-size shampoo bottle and pooping in my own toilet.  

Part of me wishes I was still out on the road. Having adventures, seeing the world, meeting new people, having more grand love affairs.  But then

another part of me is ready to settle down and start being a grown up.  

I think the short-term solution to my dilemma and my post-holiday blues is simple.  Do more awesome fun stuff closer to home.  Start planning another trip. Write more. Stop telling myself that the grass is greener and just get the hell on with things. 

Because the city I love will always be there (nuclear war and polar ice-caps melting aside), and the people I love don't just go away because I'm 16,532 kilometres away. 

Good Plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment