Sunday, April 10, 2011

Where we come from


I feel blessed to have had amazing Grandparents in my life.

Sure, my maternal Grandmother was a bit crazy, but to be fair, all the women on that side of the family are. And my paternal Grandmother (who is actually my step-Grandmother) constantly tries to feed me, but that is part of her culture.

I recently have spend some time conversing a lot with my remaining Grandparents because I know that they are not going to be around much longer, and they are full of such interesting stories and knowledge. 

For example I never knew that if you put the drippings from your roast in the fridge, you can scrape the fat off before you turn it into delicious home-made gravy, until Nanna told me.

My Granny’s recipe for steamed pudding is so mouth-watering and I’m happy I took the time to learn it before she passed away, because I’ll be able to make it for my grandchildren one day.

cricket1936 I adore hearing stories from my Grampy about England before the war, and his war story. And this time, I am going to go and visit our family house in Wood Green that he has been talking about for as long as I can remember. Not because it means something to me, but because it means something to him.

It’s not pleasant thinking about too hard, in fact I have tears welling as I write this, but I’ll really miss my Granny & Pa, and I’ll miss my Grampy and Nanna when they go.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment