Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Money can't buy happiness? Rubbish.

Listening to BBC Radio 2 today the discussion was money can’t buy you happiness.

This is in an age old saying but I’m not entirely sure it’s true. Certainly having money in the bank doesn’t necessarily make you happy, but I think what Spike Milligan said is very true – it makes misery a lot more comfortable. 

Currently I find myself in a bit of a predicament with uncertainties about my job stability and I'm already miserable – because I know I am not going to be able to afford to do the things I want to do this year.

Without money I can’t save for a house deposit. Without money I can’t afford to go home and visit my parents. Without money I can’t go out and catch up with friends over a lovely meal. Without money I can’t do all the new classes and courses I wanted to do this year.

Not only that, the quality of what I can afford inevitably has to go down. From the modestly priced Zara I have to revert back to Primark. From finally being able to afford decent quality meat, I’m forced to return to home brand.

True, this isn’t the end of the world. I have supportive family, boyfriend and friends. I have my health and I live in an amazing city. However, shallow as it may seem, having nice things makes me happy, and not having money makes me very, very unhappy.

True, the best things in life might be free, but nothing beats the peace of mind that having money in the bank to pay the bills, with a little bit put aside for a rainy day brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment