Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Facebook: I am not a FAN of people becoming FANS of things

Some of you may have read my previous blog about facebook where I suggested that reading everyones status updates sometimes makes me want to stab something with the carving knife.

I now have now developed another frustration with my favourite social networking page. And it's a big one, but not with the program itself but of my friends.

WHY WHY WHY do people feel the need to validate the fact that they enjoy laughing or sleeping or many other basic things like money by joining a fan page?

To me this is the most pointless and ridiculous thing I have encountered in a very long time. The last being leggings for men.

Becoming a fan of one of the basic functions of humanity, such as sleeping, to me is the as productive as giving a goldfish a pair of tap dancing shoes.

Currently 70,541 people are fans of money. And do these people have active group discussions on the benefits of money.. or debate over whether the $5 AUS or $5 US is prettier? Or whether they should scrap the Euro? NO! (Well not that I can find anyway). They see that one of their friends has become a fan of money.. and go.. ME TOO! And then move on. I would say that the majority of the world is a fan of money. I will even go as far as saying that the Tibetan Monks, whilst maybe not desiring it like us Western Folk, probably quite enjoy have a few bucks to splash on some new robes every now and then.

I can see the value of, and have joined a few myself, ACTUAL fan pages.. that is fan pages of authors, movies, bands, shows etc.. because this is unique to different individuals and people are likely to contribute to a mildly interesting conversation.

But I really really cannot see the point in becoming a fan of cuddles, laughing, smiling, naked cuddles, sleeping, sleeping in, spooning, staying in bed, cocktails, chocolate, family, mothers, shoes, shopping, texting, kisses, children or pay day. (These are all actual fan pages.. I got them all from a friend who is a fan of 87 things)

I am all for shameless self promotion and like the voyeuristic qualities of FB.. but perhaps we are taking things a little too far?

No comments:

Post a Comment