Monday, October 26, 2009

Doomed to Blindness

My inner geek is in full swing at the moment.

The new BBC adaptation of Emily Bronte’s classic “Wuthering Heights” is now airing on ABC.  If there is one thing I love better than a Hugh Grant romantic comedy, it’s a bonnet drama.

Unlike the beautiful happy ending of Jane Austen, Cathy and Heathcliffe’s story is doomed from the start. A relationship that destroys them both and the relationships of others around them. 

Destructive relationships are addictive.  When your in one,  you don’t recognise it for what it is (soul destroying) and when it inevitably ends it takes you what seems like a lifetime to recover.

One of my friends has just come out of one of these, and is in the “sitting in your room moping phase”.  I feel sorry for him (yes, it’s a boy recovering from a whore of a girlfriend) because I know what it’s like and I know that everyone else's good wishes means fuck all. 

My destructive relationship, quite frankly, was my own fault.  Everyone knew was a disaster it was, yet the other highlighting characteristic of a doomed relationship is that you refuse to listen to anybody's advice (note for next time – when the boys best friends and family tell you that you deserve better its a good indication your going out with a douche bag).

Looking back on it now, the signs were there from the start.  I have now got a list of guidelines for any prospective relationships.

1. Everyone deserves a second chance. That’s ONE more chance to remain faithful, not 2, 3, 4 or however many more times he cheated on me and didn’t tell me about.

2. Only be with someone who is nice to you.  Not someone who gets drunk and yells in front of all your friends that he hates you, or tells you he wants to fuck other women and proceed to dance with someone fat and ugly.

3. Only be with someone who wants to spend time with you.  Not someone who gives you a kiss on Friday night and returns on Sunday afternoon hung-over, with no money, and demands that you feed them and wash their clothes.

4. Do not, under any circumstances, believe the words of someone who is a borderline alcoholic.  If they say they love you and want to marry you and have babies with you – they don’t mean it, they are only after a blow job.  Do not believe it when they say they miss you, because chances are you will fly across the country to see them, only to be told, whilst you are naked in bed, that they are seeing someone else.

So watching Wuthering Heights, I know that Cathy is a fool, that Heathcliffe is a nutter (although to give him credit, a nutter that is desperate for her – sigh) but I can’t help but wish that it works out.  I have learned my lesson, but when it comes down to it, perhaps love truly is blind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment