Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The December Pinch

Today, the expense of the festive season well and truly hit. With social catch ups around every corner and last minute gifts, my bank balance has been taking a pounding. 

It was much easier when I lived on the Sunshine Coast and never did anything. But as I insisted on moving to one of the world's most expensive cities in the middle of a recession I must start cutting my costs. But the question is where? 

Potentially, I could look at cutting some friends out as a money saving exercise. After all, the less friends you have the less social occasions one must attend. But then I'm afraid I'd get horribly bored and spend money on wine, fancy underwear and dresses I don't need in order to amuse myself. 
I already use the library rather than the book store, and spend my boyfriend's money rather than my own whenever feasible (but don't tell him that). I have a PAYG phone with free texts. I bring my own coffee for the commute in a Keep Cup. I buy my knickers from Primark. Where else am I supposed to cut down costs? 

The only place I can really identify true savings is on my rent. So today I gave notice that I'd be moving out of my expensive shoebox at the end of January. A long term investment which should lead to a £50 - £150 a month saving. After all, if I'm to live in a shoebox, I'd like to pay shoebox prices. 

Although the trick  will be to not convert these savings into wine, fancy underwear and dresses I don't need, but to spend it aside for a rainy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment