Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Yorkshire... God's Own Country?

As you know, for Christmas the boy and I drove to Yorkshire to spend the holidays with his family.

My impression of what “God’s Own Country” was like was formed of many viewings of Heartbeat and All Creatures Great and Small, however I know now that this was pure naivety and I would have been better off watching re-runs of Geordie Shore.

It truly is another country up there. A land where girls are perpetually tanned (despite there being very little sun) and fake is best. You don’t go out to enjoy the company of others and accidently end up being drunk off too much wine, instead you shot bottles of vodka before leaving the house and hit the town with the express intention of getting wankered.

What baffled me most, however, was the lack of clothing. Don’t get me wrong, I love a skimpy dress as much as the next person, but I’m also a practical girl and know that going out without tights and a coat in the middle of winter is simple a recipe for hypothermia. Never in my life have I felt so out of place and uncomfortable than on the streets of Darlington.

But, ignoring this, Yorkshire is indeed a stunning county. Rolling green hills, smiling faces on the streets, rugged landscapes, fast flowing rivers, countless puppy dogs with boundless energy, not to mention castles and abbeys galore (and you all know how I love a castle!). I adored walking through the public footpaths on Christmas Morning in crisp country air, and looking up at night to see the stars (you don’t realise how much you miss this living in London). I adored the cobblestone streets, quaint country shops and small cottages. I just found the night-life not quite to my particular taste.

Am I looking forward to my next visit to the in-laws? Absolutely, but this time I will be much better prepared, and it will be summer, so I can go out coatless without fear of freezing my lovely arse off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment