Thursday, May 17, 2012

Vinopolis, City of Wine

 
Last Saturday night I surprised The Boy with a trip to Vinopolis, London's "city of wine" for the Grapevine wine tasting tour.
DSCF2430
Usually out of our date night budget, a well timed Taste Card newsletter alerted me to a  2-4-1 ticket offer, so I jumped on the chance to go!

The Grapevine Tour starts with a brief (and somewhat overcrowded) lecture on how to taste wine, going over the basics of slurping, sniffing and checking the "legs".

You then are let loose into the caverns with your tokens for 6 wine tastings. From Bulgarian to Chilean and everything in between..

Whites, reds, rose as well as separate rooms for whiskey, rum and beer.

Remaining somewhat loyal to the antipodean wine table, I heartily enjoyed sampling some exquisite Yarra Valley wines including a mouth watering Shiraz.

The South American wines were also delicious, but the "wine guide" on the Latin table was a little too light handed on pouring for my liking (I suppose it is a tasting.. but come on! fill it up!).

Washing down a tapas plate of bread, olive oil, and various meats (not bad for a fiver) with vino, we found ourselves pretending to know exactly what we were talking about, discussing the "notes" of the wine ("Yes, it has an oak and strawberry tang to it" etc etc"), swishing it around and examining the legs. Oh yes, for an hour or two, The Boy and I became one of those couples that everyone hates at a dinner party - wine know-it-alls.

Never fear, the tour concludes in the Bombay Sapphire Experience room, where you can (if you're not too tipsy) learn about the making of gin and sample a Bombay Sapphire Cocktail. Now whilst I love Gin, the cocktail was not at all to my liking.

Despite my lack-lustre Gin cocktail, Vinopolis was definitely a worthy date-night destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment